Makies Forums

‹ Electronics, hacking, nerdom

Batteries?

Here since 26th May '12

46 Posts

Ok, i've just started tinkering around with some tiny servos to get Suekat expressing herself. I'm yet to get the drill out to perform amateur surgery on her skullcap but I'm hoping the results will be exciting! I don't want to promise anything yet but I've hooked up an arduino pro mini, and the conveniently sized head cavity means I think i can get a fair amount in there. It looks like there's a handy hole in the neck leading to what looks suspiciously like a space for a battery in Suekat's back. Unfortunately I can't get a standard 9V battery into the space! It's a fraction too small. I was wondering what battery it was designed for? And if there's any chance I can get 9V out of it?

Sue

22 Jul, 2012 22:25

Staff

911 Posts

Oooh…exiting!! smile
Good luck!

23 Jul, 2012 09:49

Here since 26th May '12

46 Posts

Thank you smile I'm still tinkering!

24 Jul, 2012 20:03

Staff

25 Posts

Yay! We can't wait to see what your tinkering leads to Sue! Will Suekat become the first moving MAKIE? smile

You are correct, the neck hole is to run cabling through and the back space is intended for batteries. We actually designed MAKIES with the Lilypad Arduino in mind. The Lilypad board fits inside the head cavity rather snugly - like a shiny brain smile. Some kit lilypads come with a little battery pack that fits in the back space leaving extra space for other components too.

We've also heard that some people stack coin-batteries using pre-built stack modules (holders/clips) to power other arduino boards in teeny, tiny spaces but we haven't tried that yet.

Super excited… squee!

smile

24 Jul, 2012 21:42

Here since 26th May '12

46 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement! My goal is to add in some expressive animal ears into her skull cap. I can't decide at the moment what she should respond to - at the moment it's just a push button and a randomizer but it think it looks pretty cute pre-installation. I've ordered a teeny lipo battery and am keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post movies/pictures when i get a chance, probably friday now smile

25 Jul, 2012 13:15

Staff

25 Posts

Oh wow! Almost-autonomous-MAKIE ears, how fab. smile

25 Jul, 2012 13:22

Staff

21 Posts

Really looking forward to seeing this!

25 Jul, 2012 14:28

Staff

188 Posts

That is so cool, can't wait to see your progress! I want a pair of emotive ears myself…if only I was fitted for an arduino. smile

25 Jul, 2012 15:59

Here since 23rd May '12

751 Posts

smile

I may have to organise some sort of financial arrangement for a pair of these!

25 Jul, 2012 19:08

Here since 19th May '12

883 Posts

chelseac
That is so cool, can't wait to see your progress! I want a pair of emotive ears myself…if only I was fitted for an arduino. smile

No arduino needed smile

25 Jul, 2012 21:45

Sign in to reply.